The use of raw oil in lieu of modern creams/lotions is becoming more popular, and seeing I am a big advocate for their use, a blog post on the subject seems fitting. Raw oil for the skin is not a modern concept by any means. We humans were using a variety of oils and fats on our skin and hair long before the advent of modern cosmetic making. Furthermore, now that the dangers associated with modern cosmetics are more widely understood and accepted, it’s no wonder people are getting back to basics with their skin care. We often hear the
The Vision of the Future
Advanced Orthomolecular Research (AOR)–a leading provider of high quality nutraceutical supplements, has recently launched their Eco Series line, a World First achievement in carrageenan-free vegan softgel technology. This line is the first of its kind to offer vegan softgels that are free of the controversial additive carrageenan. Furthermore, each product is formulated for optimal nutritional delivery, maximum sensitivity to dietary concerns (personal, religious, or allergenic); and is produced using only recyclable materials and environmentally sustainable ingredients.
Equally important to the Eco Series’ near-universal accessibility are the sustainable ingredients. Rather than using more common ingredients with larger ecological footprint, AOR took special care to source each product used in the Eco Series from sustainable sources. For example, they used the abundant and oftentimes invasive Japanese knotweed in the place of the more resource-intensive red grapes when crafting their Resveratrol supplement. This simple, yet brilliant sourcing initiative not only keeps an invasive species in check without adding more pesticides into the environment, it allows for a hearty, long lasting supply of a natural resource.
All-Around 100% Recyclable
Keeping with their overall commitment to sustainability, all labels and marketing materials are produced using stone paper, which is made from reclaimed limestone, one of the Earth’s most abundant minerals. It uses much less energy and resources (such as water and trees) than normal pulp paper. Stone paper’s carbon footprint is 67% less than traditional pulp based paper, furthermore the labels use soy ink, natural dyes, and an environmentally friendly adhesive making the bottles 100% recyclable as is.
On the Products
The Eco Series offers a number of different products for a variety of different health concerns, from foundational vitamins, such as D3 and K2, to more specialized treatment methods for specific conditions, such as polycystic ovarian syndrome. The information below is a small taste of what makes these products unique when compared to other supplements on the market.
- Advanced PCOS Relief
- Polylycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormonal disorder affecting 5-10% of childbearing women and is the most significant cause of infertility amongst women of all nationalities. Symptoms vary greatly between women, but can include weight gain, acne, excessive hair growth, multiple ovarian cysts, and male pattern hair-loss. More serious manifestations include: hyperinsulinemia, elevated triglycerides, and difficulty breathing. Conventional treatments for PCOS are targeted to symptom management from oral retinoid for skin concerns, oral contraceptives, or insulin regulating drugs. However, the most effective treatment is to always address the root cause–this includes diet and lifestyle adjustments as well as supplementation with a few key nutrients that can improve outcomes. The first is the co-factor inositol. This member of the B vitamin family comes in two forms: myo-inositol and D-chiro-inositol. A combination of these two forms was shown to significantly improve insulin sensitivity by cells; thus, preventing blood glucose dysregulation. This also had an impact on the regulation of a number of sex hormone levels. Furthermore, oocyte and egg quality improved leading to improved fertility in women suffering from PCOS. Folic acid has also been seen to be beneficial by providing antioxidant support from excess homocysteine. It also supports healthy brain, cardiovascular and genetic functioning. Advanced PCOS Relief contains the active form of folic acid to ensure that the body can use it properly.
- Borage 500
- Borage 500 contains organic cold pressed hexane free borage oil, a rich source of the anti-inflammatory fatty acid, GLA. Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) is an omega-6 fatty acid produced in the body from linoleic acid (LA), an essential fatty acid. Although a high ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids is typically thought to cause inflammation, studies have shown that supplementation with GLA has anti-inflammatory effects. This means that GLA is especially effective in treating inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and eczema. AOR uses borage oil as a source of GLA, as opposed to the more commonly-known evening primrose oil. This is because borage oil contains 2-3 times more GLA, meaning a smaller dose is needed.
- Cardio Omega 3
- An essential fatty acid that is not synthesized by the body, and recent research suggests that higher doses of Omega 3 are better for improving cardiovascular health. AOR’s Omega 3 is sourced from the oil-rich algae Schizochytrium, making it an excellent choice for vegans. It also contains the active, converted forms of EPA and DHA for optimal efficacy. Algae is an especially potent form of Omega 3, as other vegan sources such as chia or flax risk exposure to lignans and other anti-nutrients such as cyanogenic glycosides which can interfere with mineral absorption.
- Cogni Omega 3
- While higher doses of Omega 3 are useful for cardiovascular health, Cogni Omega 3 is your safest bet for a supplement that effectively targets brain health.
- CoQ10 stands for Coenzyme Q10, a natural antioxidant synthesized by our bodies. This fat-soluble, vitamin-like nutrient is essential to several bodily functions, and is required by every single cell in the body. The body’s ability to produce and metabolize CoQ10 has been reported to decrease with age. CoQ10 deficiency may be caused by insufficient dietary intake of CoQ10, impairment in CoQ10 biosynthesis, as well as excessive utilization of CoQ10 by the body to protect against compromised genes. The result is less cellular energy (ATP production). CoQ10 deficiencies have been implicated in many conditions such as fatigue, fibromyalgia, cardiovascular problems, and neurodegenerative diseases. As such, the benefits of CoQ10 supplementation include: slowing the effects of aging, protecting cognitive health, improving metabolic functions, and improving heart health.
- High Dose Astaxanthin
- Astaxanthin is a unique carotenoid found in abundance in marine environments. High Dose Astaxanthin provides a high quality, sustainable vegan source of this unique and powerful antioxidant. Astaxanthin helps protect marine plants and animals from damaging ultraviolet rays, and it has the same effect in humans. Studies have shown that Astaxanthin enhances skin health by improving moisture and elasticity; and reducing the appearance of fine lines. Some studies have also suggested it may help lower blood sugar, reduce blood pressure, alleviate heartburn in those with dyspepsia, and improve sports performance by increasing muscular endurance. High doses (≥ 14mg) have also been studied to improve cognitive function. Astaxanthin is recognized as a particularly significant antioxidant, because unlike many other antioxidants, it never becomes a free radical, substances that cause harmful oxidization.
- Lutein Wildcrafted
- Lutein is an antioxidant known as a carotenoid, commonly found in leafy green vegetables such as spinach, kale, and broccoli. It also naturally occurs in the macula region of the human eye. The development of eye conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts occur when proteins that make up the lens fibre are damaged. This protein damage is caused by oxidation and exposure to blue light, or sun exposure. The presence of antioxidants in the lens of the eye prevents oxidation and UV damage from occurring. Lutein’s protective effect on the eyes is threefold: it filters out UV light, protects the blood vessels of the macular region, and prevents the oxidation of fatty acids in the phosphoreceptor membrane. AOR’s Lutein is sourced from wildcrafted drought-tolerant marigold, which grows rampant and is considered an invasive plant species. It is a superior option when considering environmental impact.
- Resveratrol Wildcrafted
- Resveratrol is a plant compound known as a polyphenol, and naturally occurs in grapes, dark chocolate, various berries; and some herbs. In a trans-form for easy absorption, Resveratrol provides a rich source of antioxidants that helps to combat the damaging effects that medications, pollution, UV rays, and dietary choices have on cell health. Studies have shown that resveratrol reduces cholesterol and triglycerides, lowers blood pressure, and reduces the incidence of arterial plaque formation. Its most unique application is that it mimics the biological effects of eating a calorie restricted diet, which has many different health benefits.
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in very few foods, added to others, and available as a dietary supplement. Vitamin D, when taken as food or supplement, is absorbed in your intestine. From here, vitamin D is collected by a binding protein and taken to the liver and converted to calcidiol, a process called “hydroxylation”. It promotes calcium absorption in the gut and maintains adequate calcium and phosphate concentrations to enable normal mineralization of bone. Vitamin D has other roles in the body, including modulation of cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function; and reduction of inflammation. AOR’s Vegan Vitamin D3 is sustainably sourced from organic Lichen and not from the commonly used Lanolin derived from sheep’s wool.
- Vitamin K2
- Vitamin K is an essential vitamin needed for cardiovascular, bone, and liver health. Vitamin K2 breaks down into two forms, namely MK-4 and MK-7. While MK-4 is the active form of vitamin K2 used by the body, MK-7 has recently been shown to provide good results at low doses. AOR’s Vitamin K2 offers both forms of vitamin K2 in equal amounts, while most formulas on the market only focus on one or the other. Unique compared to many other supplements, AOR’s Vitamin K2 is derived from soy-free sources for potential dietary concerns.
While red grapes are high in resveratrol, they are often extremely costly, and require massive amounts of energy and environmental resources to grow, care for, and extract nutrients from. As such, AOR’s Wildcrafted Resveratrol is sourced from Japanese knotweed, a naturally-occurring spring vegetable, for maximum ecological benefits as opposed to red grape skin extract. Japanese knotweed also yields more trans-resveratrol, when compared to red grapes.
AOR has a broad vision that seeks to catalyze change and challenge conventions through continuous innovation. This is what led to the creation of the Eco Series, which is not only a game changer for the company, but for sustainability endeavors as a whole. Their commitment to Mother Nature herself is inspiring, and assists in ensuring the long term sustainability of our planet and all its inhabitants.
As part of our continuing dedication to sustainability, we have also launched the #showusyoureco Challenge. Take a picture while performing an eco-conscious act, whether it be recycling, biking/walking to work, driving your electric car, grocery shopping with reusable shopping bags, planting trees, or using a travel mug when going out for coffee. Once you take a picture, post it to Instagram and in return you will receive a code to plant a virtual tree in our AOR forest. The rules are as follows:
- The photo must be of an obviously eco-friendly act. If the act is not obviously eco-conscious, then you must explain in your post how it helps the environment.
- You must tag your photo with the AOR Instagram page (@aor_health)
- You must use the hashtags #showusyoureco, #myaor and #caringisinournature
- You must follow the AOR Instagram page (AOR Heath)
- You must tag three Instagram friends and challenge them to do the same”