First let’s start by briefly discussing the benefits of using R-lipoic acid. It’s important to know that a sustained release lipoic acid formulation has a much different application versus an immediate release lipoic acid supplement, even though both are utilizing its highly potent antioxidant activity. In the simplest explanation, immediate release lipoic acid creates a sharp rise in blood levels and is therefore most useful for regulating blood sugars, managing weight and improving diabetic concerns. A sustained release (SR) lipoic acid, on the other hand, is beneficial for anti-aging support, mitochondrial health, neurological protection and optimal energy production. It is
Recent research finds the hops plant has shown benefit with respect to hormonal health. 8 – prenylnaringenin (8PN) is the name of this compound and is what is referred to as a prenylflavoid. It is deemed to be the most estrogenic of the phytoestrogens (plant based forms) (1). Its effects are similar to estradiol (an active form of body estrogen), but at a fraction of the potency (2).
With these estrogenic properties, 8PN has shown benefit in the following areas:
- Heart Disease
- Breast cancer
- Menopausal symptoms
On the subject of menopause, one double blind randomized cross over study (specifically designed to take into account the high degree of “placebo” effect common with menopausal studies) showed that 8PN reduced hot flashes, night sweats and other menopausal symptoms significantly (3). Lifenol®’s hops extract is standardized to contain an effective level of 8PN, and has been studied in numerous clinical trials. It is found in AOR’s formula Estro Adapt, a complete female hormonal support formula that is designed to address the following:
- Detoxification (of toxins, carcinogens and excess estrogens)
- Reduce risk of abnormal cell growth related to breast and cervical cancers
- Help support the liver to manage the levels of “good” vs. “ bad” estrogens
- Promote healthy menstruation and support menopausal symptoms
As you can see, there are many reasons to ensure a healthy hormonal system remains robust as we age; to help our hearts, bones, to minimize cancer risk and to help deal with transitions such as menopause in a manageable way. 8PN is one such natural compound that assists us in achieving optimum hormonal health.
You may also be interested in: “Should There be a Change in Attitude Towards Menopause?”
1. Keiler; Zierau; Kretzschmar (2013). Hop Extracts and Hop Substances in Treatment of Menopausal Complaints. Planta Med 2013; 79(07): 576-579 79 (07): 576–567.
2. S. R. Milligan, J. C. Kalita, V. Pocock, V. Van De Kauter, J. F. Stevens, M. L. Deinzer, H. Rong and D. De Keukeleire (December 2000). The Endocrine Activities of 8-Prenylnaringenin and Related Hop (Humulus lupulus L.) Flavonoids. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 85 (12): 4912–4915.