Varicose veins are enlarged, contorted and very visible veins that are almost always found in the legs. Although they are often thought of as merely a cosmetic disturbance, they may actually be one of the first symptoms of chronic venous insufficiency (CVI). Both CVI and varicose veins result from a weakening of the walls and valves of veins, leading to poor blood flow from the feet up to the heart. This is problematic because poor blood flow may lead to swelling and resultant pain and discomfort. This can lead to work absence and reduced overall quality of life. Eventually skin
With the new school year in full swing I seem to be getting a lot of beauty questions. Particularly with skin care. I thought I would share a quick and easy face mask to help you prevent and manage unpleasant breakouts.
- 2 (heaping) tbsp. chickpea flour
- 3-5 drops tea tree essential oil
- ½ fresh lemon juice from lemon
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
- 1 tsp. unpasteurized honey (from a high-quality source)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
Mix ingredients to form a smooth paste. Apply a generous layer evenly across face and neck. Leave for 15-20 minutes ensuring it is fully dried and wash off.
The Four Face Mask Pillars:
- Exfoliator Factor: chickpea flour works as a great exfoliant for your skin and carries little allergenic potential, making it an excellent base for the mask.
- Antimicrobial Property: tea tree oil and a high quality source of unpasteurized honey both possess antimicrobial properties. Tea tree oil is a stronger antifungal and it may cause some irritation if you don’t sufficiently dilute the essential oil. Also important to note is that unpasteurized honey is ideal, but not necessary as it has a higher content of beneficial enzymes (ex. alpha glucosidase).
- Astringent Element: lemon juice and tea tree oil are both beneficial astringents that will cause contraction in the connective tissue under the skin. This process leaves your skin appearing tighter and clear of debris that builds up in your pores. You should be cautious when applying the mask over an open or popped pimple area due to the tea tree oil which could cause severe irritation. With that said, if it is a high-quality, diluted, essential oil the risk for irritation and other symptoms is extremely low.
- Moisturizing Effect: almond milk and olive oil are two ingredients that have strong moisturizing qualities and will perfectly balance with the chickpea flour (which can be overly drying for your skin).
When you find yourself experiencing skin irritation due to stress from school, work, or other daily struggles you can use this mask to prevent the regular occurrence of breakouts and it will help when you are experiencing active breakouts.
Created by: Dr.NavNirat Nibber ND.